Electrical Rewire: When is it Time to Rewire Your Home?
Jul 20, 2020 | Electrical Rewire, Residential Electric
The electrical rewire in a home isn’t always top of mind for homeowners. It is often overlooked due to more visible issues, such as roofing or flooring. But, faulty wiring is very dangerous and could result in house fires and other household accidents. Rewiring an outdated electrical system should be a high priority for homeowners. A electrical rewire will:
1. Eliminate safety and health risks caused by old wiring.
2. Avoid electrical surges (flickering lights) and prevent short circuits, arc faults, and overloads, all of which fluctuate power and increase your utility bill.
3. The new electrical wiring will allow for the proper amount of wattage for the high-tech world of today along with common appliances and electronic devices.
4. Be in compliance with the National Electric Code which will bring your house to what is currently needed and what is projected for the next 20 years (e.g. EV car charger and solar panels).
There are many benefits to having an electrical upgrade, but the safety of your household should be at the top of this list. If your home has not been rewired within the last 25 years, it’s probably time to consider it and rewire an old house.
How do I know if my home needs rewired?
There are a few ways to know your home needs a rewire. The most obvious signs include:
- Flickering or dimming lights that need changed regularly
- Breakers that trip frequently.
- Broken or cracked sockets and/or out of date plug sockets (e.g. 2 prong outlets)
- Sockets/Outlets in your home are not grounded
- Not enough sockets in the home
- Old fuse electrical panels
- A home that was built 25 years ago or longer
How much will it cost?
The cost to rewire a house depends on many different factors, including: the number of bedrooms, the size and age of the property, etc. Rewiring projects usually range from $8,000 - $18,000 (price depends on the sq.ft. of your home). We offer a financing option that allows you to make monthly payments. For a free quote, give us a call at (562) 273-4660.
If you’re still not sure if it’s time for a rewire, give Mario Castillo Electric company - a licensed electrician - a call and we will come out and inspect the wiring at your home! We’ll let you know what issues we find, how much it will cost to fix it, and how long it will take. We offer a 6 month warranty on our work, so you can rest assured you’re making the right decision when you choose us! Call us at (562) 273-4660. Let’s make sure your home is safe, up to code, and ready to handle the electrical needs of today and the future.
Sign Up For Blog Updates
Join the email list to receive updates and information.
"*" indicates required fields